Join or arrange online Events on the Book Tour for Nature-Nurture? No. Moving the Sciences of Variation and Heredity Beyond the Gaps by Peter Taylor (The Pumping Station, 2014).
At each 60-minute Event Peter presents a vignette from the book, then participants are led through a 30 minute process involving writing, reflecting, speaking, and listening to make connections with their own work.
Technical requirements: A google+ account with audio and video plugins, reliable head set or earphones, and practice muting your mic when not speaking.
- Join an Event already listed on this community.
- Find four other people who can participate at an agreed-on time (9am-9pm, any day), get confirmation from Peter (email@example.com), thencreate an Event for this time on this community. (The convenor gets a free pdf of the book for arranging an Event.)
Genetic is not genetic is not genetic…
The implications of underlying heterogeneity
Nature vs. nurture versus Nature vs. nurture
Interaction, interaction, and interaction
What to do if you think something significant has been overlooked for 100 years
Why call something genetic variance?
Join the Book Tour for Taking Yourself Seriously: Processes of Research and Engagement by Peter Taylor and Jeremy Szteiter (The Pumping Station, 2012)—a “field-book of tools and processes to help readers in all fields develop as researchers, writers, and agents of change.”
At each “stop” (conference call) on the tour Peter or Jeremy spend 5 minutes to introduce themselves, the key “4Hs” theme, and one of five vignettes from the book:
- Phases of Research and Engagement
- Action Research Cycles and Epicycles
- Making space for taking initiative in and through relationships
- Four Rs of developing as a collaborator
- The many Rs of personal and professional development
Then participants are led through a 30-50 minute process involving writing, reflecting, speaking, and listening to make connections with their own work (http://bit.ly/FivePhase).
Sign up to join any conference call on this list or propose to convene an event at another time.*
* Conveners volunteer to find at least five people who will join a conference call at an agreed-on time (9am-9pm, any day, subject to confirmation), then post that time, the skype names or phone numbers of the participants, and their vignette preference. At the time of the event, the book tour organizers initiate the call (from skype name newssc1) and provide the link to the visuals for the introduction. Afterwards they send the convener a free copy of the book.